Revision Date: March 28, 2019
Common Goals of All Practices and Specification of Practice
1. In-house training and thorough understanding
2. Communication and co-operation with stakeholders
Human Rights and Labor
1. Freely Chosen Employment
- ・Forced labor, slave labor, exploitative prisoner labor and labor involving human trafficking shall not be used.
Furthermore, making a person work against their will and forced labor that removes a person's freedom of leaving their job shall not be permitted.
- ・The hiring process to prevent job applicants from being made to pay recruitment fees, being contracted to work in less favorable working conditions than what were initially promised, and other such unfair treatment shall be managed.
- ・The original copies of an employee's documents such as their identification card or passport shall be retained by the employee. The Company shall not hold said documents.
2. Prohibition of Child Labor
- ・Under-age workers shall not be hired.
- ・Workers under the age of 18 shall be prevent from engaging in work that could jeopardize their health, including night shifts and excessive overtime.
- ・When accepting student workers as interns the rights of students, as well as their safety and health shall be protected through appropriate management while complying with the applicable laws.
3. Working Hours
- ・All employee work hours shall be monitored and controlled in order to ensure compliance with legal statutes and to improve and maintain a healthy lifestyle for each employee.
- ・The total number of working hours should not exceed 60 hours per workweek except in emergency or extraordinary situations.
Workers are entitled to at least one day off per week.
4. Wages and Benefits
- ・Wages shall not be less than the minimum legal wage stipulated for the local area.
In addition, wages are not to be unfairly reduced.
- ・The worker shall be informed of how overtime and various other allowances are paid to them by using an itemized payslip from which it is easy to understand the details regarding overtime payments and the various allowances paid.
5. Humane Treatment
- ・Abuse, coercion and/or sexual harassment will not be permitted.
- ・To create a healthy workplace environment, discrimination based on age, race, sex, religion or sexual orientation is strictly prohibited.
7. Freedom of Association
- ・Improvements to the labor conditions and workplace environments of employees shall be planned through discussions and negotiations held with workers via the Senyu-kai and labor committee representing employees.
- ・There shall be no form of retaliation toward or unfair evaluation of employees due to their participation or non-participation in collective bargaining, or the content of their opinions.
Health and safety
1. Occupational Safety
- ・Accidents shall be prevented proactively by eliminating potential safety hazards in the workplace, performing risk assessments on workplace safety and implementing preventative measures.
- ・The Company will reduce the work pressure on female employees who are expecting a child or caring for a child.
2. Emergency Preparedness
- ・Emergency plans and response procedures for natural disasters (e.g. earthquake, fire, flood), including periodic inspections of fire extinguishing systems and emergency equipment shall be implemented and routinely reviewed.
- ・A proper evacuation route is to be prepared for emergencies.
- ・As measures for preparations against the infection and spread of diseases, preventative actions shall be defined and supplies to prevent epidemics shall be secured.
In addition, if we are notified of an infection, the patient will be asked not to come to work while they are being treated for the illness to prioritize containing the spread of the disease.
3. Prevention of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses
- ・Periodic medical checks shall be conducted as follows:
General health checks: once per year; Lifestyle-related disease checks: twice per year; Specialized health exams: twice per year
- ・Procedures and systems are to be implemented for occupational injury and illness so that reporting, treatment, counseling, etc. can be carried out smoothly.
4. Industrial Hygiene
- ・Methods to prevent the scattering or dispersion of chemicals and other substances are to be implemented and industrial hygiene is to be upheld in order to prevent the overexposure of workers to chemicals and other substances.
- ・All workers are provided with appropriate protective gear.
When worn properly, it maximizes their safety and health while they perform their tasks.
Workers must not use protective gear that is worn out or damaged.
5. Physically Demanding Work
- ・For workers who engage in repetitive tasks over an extended period of time, measures will be taken to reduce physical toll by providing sufficient rest periods to allow recovery.
6. Machine Safety Measures
- ・To protect workers physically appropriate safety measures will be taken, such as installing area sensors and interlocks (mechanisms that protect against incorrect and inadvertent operation) in appropriate locations on machinery.
7. Sanitation, Food and Housing
- ・Worker dormitories, eating areas, bathrooms and other such facilities are to be maintained as comfortable environments with considerations made for safety and hygiene.
8. Health and Safety Communication
- ・Within the workplace, safety-related risks and proper operational procedures shall be communicated and shared, and information required to ensure that those procedures are followed shall be posted.
- ・Handling methods for chemicals and other substances, as well as emergency response procedures, shall be communicated to workers.
Samples shall be stored and procedures posted in locations where they can be accessed at any time.
9. Prohibition of Drugs and Other Substances in the Workplace
- ・The use, sale, and possession of illegal drugs or any other controlled substances (excluding drugs prescribed for medical use to individuals at the direction of a physician) shall be forbidden in the workplace.
- ・The consumption and possession of alcoholic beverages (excluding the temporary storage of gift items and the consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages during company events) shall be forbidden in the workplace.
- ・Employees shall be forbidden from being under the influence of alcohol, illegal drugs, or any other controlled substances during work hours.
1. Environmental Permits and Reporting
- ・All legally required environmental permits shall be obtained and all reporting requirements followed.
2. Pollution Prevention and Effective Use of Resources
- ・By improving production processes and recycling, the effective use of resources and waste production shall be measured, and the reduction of inefficient use of resources and environmental pollution shall be encouraged.
3. Hazardous Substances
- ・Chemicals and other materials posing a hazard if released into the environment are to be handled, stored, recycled and disposed of safely to avoid leakage in order to protect human health and the environment.
4. Solid Waste
- ・Environmental preservation by managing ways to treat solid waste and by promoting recycling shall be encouraged.
5. Emission of substances into the Atmosphere
- ・The use of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) or corrosive substances, ozone depleting substances, and by-products of combustion, etc. will be monitored and controlled within safe levels at each facility to avoid atmospheric pollution.
6. Product Content Restrictions
- ・All specific chemical substances defined by applicable laws and regulations are to be controlled for all products.
7. Water Management
- ・Prevent overflow of contaminated water into rain drains or the public water system by identifying contamination risks and managing the associated risks.
- ・Awareness of the status of water usage and conservation of water shall be encouraged.
8. Energy Consumption and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- ・Conservation of energy and reduction of greenhouse gases (CO2) shall be encouraged.
- ・Consideration to biodiversity and efforts to participate in natural conservation activities shall be encouraged.
Fair Trade and Ethics
1. Business Integrity
- ・Any and all forms of corruption, extortion, and embezzlement or falsification shall be prohibited.
2. Prevention of Corruption
- ・Dishonest acts such as bribery and collusive relationships shall be forbidden, and anti-corruption measures shall be taken.
3. Disclosure of Information
- ・All information required according to applicable laws and regulations pertaining to our business activities, corporate structure, and financial situation is to be publicly disclosed.
4. Intellectual Property
- ・The intellectual property rights of our customers are to be respected.
5. Fair Business Activities
- ・Fair and free competition as well as honest and fair business activities is to be conducted.
- ・The confidential information of customers and suppliers is to be protected and managed.
6. Protection of Identity
- ・The identity of any whistle-blower employee is to be kept confidential.
7. Responsible Mining Activities (Mineral Procurement)
- ・The Company shall not engage in any kind of deals with individuals or groups instrumental in violating human rights by engaging in acts such as violence, terrorism, or using child labor, and shall use only conflict-free minerals based on the Responsible Minerals Initiative (RMI).
8. Protection of Privacy
- ・The confidentiality of the information pertaining to customers, suppliers and employees shall be managed, protected and maintained.
9. Export Control
- ・Proper export control by following the applicable laws, regulations, internal rules, and periodic audits shall be conducted.
Product Quality and Safety
1. Products and Services
- ・Product safety and sale of products in a responsible manner as a manufacturer shall be ensured.
- ・Compliance with applicable product safety regulations and standards shall be ensured.
- ・The information of products and services to customers shall be provided accurately and free from misrepresentation or falsification.
2. Stability of Supply
- ・Risk assessments for emergencies and natural disasters shall be conducted and a recovery plan to minimize damage and facilitate a quick recovery of business activities in these situations shall be formulated.
1. Computer and Network
- ・Protective measures against unauthorized access to computers or networks to effectively prevent damage or disruption to the company and its business partners shall be ensured.
2. Social Media
- ・Guidelines related to the use of social media shall be prepared, and education of employees on the appropriate use of social media shall be provided.
1. Social Contributions
- ・Committed involvement in promoting local arts and culture shall be encouraged.
- ・Involvement and participation in local community festivals and events shall be encouraged.
- ・Participation in Local Nature Conservation Activities shall be encouraged.